Doctor medical consults
General Medical Consultations for all ages and acute urgent clinic every morning from 8.30 am to 11.00 am for urgent medical conditions or accidents. Standard appointment time is 15 minutes. Longer consultation times are available such as for Drivers Licence, Insurance and Occupational medicals; please advise at time of booking.
Routine checks such as blood tests, smears, mammograms, immunisations, Cardiovascular risk assessments (CVR), Diabetes Annual Review (DAR), and a wide range of services to assist with lifestyle changes such as weight loss, and smoking cessation.
All of our nurses have a current immunisation certificate. We provide all immunisation services such as routine immunisations for baby’s and children, influenza, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), and Hepatitis B.
It is important that repeat medication is reviewed by a clinician and you will be required to attend for regular medication reviews.
- Please allow three days for us to process your repeat prescription request, have your medication packaging in front of you and phone 07 345 6627, select extension 2. Follow the instructions and read the names and dosages from your packages.
- Alternatively you may wish to email our nurses on email@example.com or order online via our Patient Portal, Accession.
- Your prescription will be ready for collection at the practice or emailed to your designated pharmacy within three days of you calling us.
- Please advise us if you require this prescription within 24 hours and please note there is an additional fee for this.
If you have had an accident in New Zealand, your doctors and/or nurses visit and treatment may be payable by ACC.
Our medical centre is located in the Redwood Centre at 5 Tarawera Road, Rotorua. When you come to reception before your appointment, please let the reception staff know your visit may be ACC related. They will give you a form to complete before you go in to see the doctor or nurse. Please complete as much as you can and ask the reception staff for help if you are unsure of any information. Please include details as requested of your employer and the work you do.
ACC does not cover the full cost of treatment so there is a payment charged by the practice for any ACC visit.
We have a small dedicated theatre where we can perform a range of small surgical services such as punch biopsies and the removal of small skin lesions. A skin biopsy is performed to take a sample of a skin rash or skin lesion. The sample is then sent to the laboratory for testing using a variety of staining and microscopic techniques.
The procedures used may be:
- A small biopsy where a small incision is made. This biopsy may involve taking part of the skin or removing a complete skin lesion (excision biopsy).
- Punch biopsy, which involves taking a small disc of skin using a special biopsy instrument.
- Shave biopsy, which involves removal of superficial skin blemishes (for example, skin tags).
We provide a number of medical certificates such as for for government departments, insurance or work agencies, driving and employment medicals, diving certification and are a specialist centre for pilot medicals.
We do ask for payment of your fee before you collect the completed medical forms.
Please let the reception staff know you are coming for a medical when you make your appointment for any of the following medical examinations: Drivers License, Divers (commercial and recreational), Pre employment, Insurance Government agencies – WINZ, War Pensions and Pilot.
Te Ngae Medical Centre has two doctors who are registered with CAA as Medical Examiners for CAA. Please call us to make an appointment for your medical examination.
- If this is your first CAA medical you may require 1 ½ – 2 hours.
- If this is a repeat medical you will require 1 hour.
- At the time of making your appointment you are required to advise the administration staff of the receipt number from CAA and day and date paid.
- The requirements for the medical certificate are outlined on the CAA website: http://www.caa.govt.nz/medical/how_to_get_med_cert.htm
- The application for the pilots medical can be found on:
We can provide services up to 12 weeks of pregnancy. To have Ministry of Health maternity care you do need to register with a Midwife to provide your care after 12 weeks gestation.